Thursday, January 13, 2011

Happy [FEATURE: EMM KUO] 2011



First of all, I want to say a very belated HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone. I know I've been slacking on the postings given that it's the holidays and I know its no excuse. I find it harder to motivate myself when I'm back home. Anyway, hopefully everyone out there is still reading as I have so many things to share with you.

So you're probably all wondering where those two beautiful lookbook photos are from. Here's the story: At the end of 2010, I discovered a new and upcoming designer who I have absolutely fallen in love, with her sleek designs, quality in materials and innovative textures. Her products have launched in the Fall of 2010 and these accessories are a piece of art within themselves. I had an amazing opportunity to interview her before the new years with regards to her line and the inspiration behind these sophisticated pieces. 



Where are you from originally? Where do you live now?
I was born in Taipei, but grew up between Hawaii, New York and Hong Kong. But I’ve also lived in London and Shanghai. For the past few years I’ve been predominantly based in NYC and Hong Kong.

How did you get into designing?
While obtaining my BA at NYU I interned for Yigal Azrouel and LVMH. It was then that I was sure fashion was the right path for me. After working in fashion marketing, I went to Parsons School of Design for a graduate program in fashion design.

Where do you draw your inspiration from? How do you organize this inspiration? 
I’m an avid traveler, and my friends call me a “freespirited jetsetter”, which I think is pretty funny but definitely holds a lot of truth. My travels have been a huge source of inspiration for me. I especially love visiting other cities and countries and seeing all the different personal styles people all over the world have. I’ve actually named each style of bag after a street I’ve lived on or have visited.

I love that you mix textures a lot, do you think this philosophy only applies to accessories/handbags or can it be carried to your entire wardrobe? 
I’ve always loved to mix and match, and this philosophy not only applies to how I design my accessories, but how I like to dress and also how I like to decorate my home as well. I think mixing colors and textures and different prints together allows the design to have more depth and it makes any design more interesting.

Who are your favorite designers (currently)? 
I absolutely love Givenchy and I think Riccardo Tisci is a genius. His clothes and accessories are romantic and feminine, but they still have a sense of edge and are somewhat sexy without being overtly so. I also really like Isabel Marant and Phillip Lim 3.1 for everyday. As far as accessories, I’m obsessed with Chrissie Morris shoes as well as Nicholas Kirkwood, and it would be my dream to one day do collaboration with either of them.

Do you have any advice for aspiring designers who want to get their foot in the door? 
Fashion is a really competitive industry and it can be really tough, that’s why it’s so important to truly love what you do. You have to be really persistent. I was always told It’s the last mile that separates the winners from the losers. Which is completely true, but I’ve also realized that the last mile never ends! So yes, persistence is a must for any aspiring designer.

Can you design a Pink and Olive version one day? :)
Absolutely! I think collaborations are always fun.

Last but not least, where can we purchase these beautiful pieces?
We are currently stocked at this great boutique in the west village in NYC called A Man And A Woman and come spring we will be in Intermix throughout the US.

13 comments:

  1. Nice clutch ;)

    http://www.theupperfashion.com
    http://www.theupperfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hit up Intermix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - I'm looking forward to this...

    www.lateniteaddiction.blogspot.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, her designs are great!! Great interview, too :)

    - www.itsanewkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love her designs. good interview! The last tow are my favourite. Thanks for sharing! -xxoo

    http://www.ladyofashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this clutch!! Cute blog!
    x Melody

    http://onedayinapril.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a totally beautiful blog :) Love it!

    The Flower Girl

    thebohemiangoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful snakeskin clutch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sounds so talented! I love the clutch too, it's gorgeous. Thank you for the interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best online earning system in the world, Online Data entry jobs, Form Filling Jobs, Copy Pasting Jobs
    Join the best online system from home, Best Investment Plans without any work
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete